Family Assessment Measure-III fam-iii
A multi-rater and multi-generational assessment of family functioning
Authors: Harvey A. Skinner, Ph.D. , Paul D. Steinhauer, M.D. , Jack Santa-Barbara, Ph.D.
Reading Level: 10 years & older, Self-report, Family-Completed
Format: Paper-and-Pencil; Online (via MHS Online Assessment Center+)
Length: Approx. 20 minutes per form
Scoring: Hand Scored; Online
Minimum order - 5 online reports
Paper Forms and Hand Scoring Materials
Test forms, response booklets and scoring reference manuals.
Online Forms, Administrations and Reports
Click to browse products
FAM-III Dyadic Relationship Scale Forms (25)
FAM-III General Scale Forms (25)
FAM-III Self-Rating Scale Forms (25)
FAM-III General Scale Online Report (each)
FAM-III Dyadic Relationship Scale Online Report (each)
FAM-III Self-Rating Scale Online Report (each)
Harvey A. Skinner, Ph.D; Paul D. Steinhauser, M.D. & Jack Santa-Barbara, Ph.D
The FAM-III is unique in its ability to provide a multilevel (within family) assessment of family functioning across seven universal clinical parameters and two validity scales. The FAM-III’s capacity for differentiation makes it suited for clinical assessment and monitoring response to treatment.
Based on the Process Model of Family Functioning, the FAM-III can be completed by pre-adolescent, adolescent and adult family members.
It consists of three types of forms:
- 50-item General Scale – examines overall family health
- 42-item Dyadic Relationship Scale – examines how a family member views his or her relationship with another family member
- 42-item Self-Rating Scale – allows each person to rate his or her own functioning within the family
By comparing the three scales to each other, you obtain a rich picture of how family members view levels of family interaction.
The seven parameters are:
- Task Accomplishment
- Role Performance
- Social Desirability
- Affective Expression
- Values and Norms
The FAM-III may be hand scored. The client’s responses are transferred through to a hidden scoring page where you are guided through simple calculations to obtain scores for profiling.
Two types of profiles are available:
- the FAM-III ColorPlot of Family Perceptions is colour coded and present results in an easy-to-understand manner;
- the Progress ColorPlot shows changes in family functioning over time.
With the release of the online version of the FAM-III, you can now assess online through a secure and easy to use website, the MHS Online Assessment Center. Administer, score, and generate reports quickly and efficiently.
The MHS Online Assessment Center+ offers access to online forms, administration scoring and report generation at a fraction of the cost of traditional paper or software assessments. If you choose to purchase online reports on the MHS Online Assessment Center+, you will:
- Save time, by never having to order paper forms again
- Enjoy the convenience of assessing tests from your home, your office, and anywhere with a computer and internet connection
- Receive instantly generated reports
- Benefit from significant cost savings
View the list of online reports available in the MHS Online Assessment Center+.
There is also a Brief FAM which is ideal for preliminary screening. It provides an overview of family functioning and may be administered and scored in 5 to 10 minutes. (See Brief FAM product page on this website for further information.)
NB: Prices are in Australian dollars inclusive of GST. NZ customers need to log in to view ex-GST prices.