Do you own WJ III Kit and would like to upgrade to WJ IV? Special prices for upgrade kits are available. Please email or call us for a quote.
Fredrick A. Schrank * Kevin S. McGrew * Nancy Mather
A trusted, ground-breaking leader in individually administered assessments, the new Woodcock Johnson Fourth Edition (WJ IV) - Australasian Adaptation is now available. The WJ IV comprehensive system offers the ease of use and flexibility examiners need to accurately evaluate learning problems and improve instructional outcomes for children and adults in a way that no other assessment can.
The WJ IV consists of three independent and co-normed batteries, which may be used separately or in any combination, emphasising the identification of individual strengths and weaknesses by providing comparisons both within each battery and across batteries:
- WJ IV Tests of Cognitive Abilities
- WJ IV Tests of Achievement
- WJ IV Tests of Oral Language
- Patterns of strengths and weaknesses identified through an easy-to-use test and cluster comparison procedure.
- Australian norms (Standard Batteries)
- Updated and expanded interpretive model.
- New domain-specific scholastic aptitude clusters that allow for efficient and valid predictions of academic achievement.
- WJ IV Australian Adaptation Scoring Software (PC only) allows examiners to easily enter raw scores, assessment data, and test session observations for any test in the WJ IV suite of assessments on their computer to quality and easily generate reports.
- WJ IV Tests of Oral Language battery which supplements the Cognitive and Achievement batteries to provide measures of oral language, phonetic coding, and speed of lexical access for a more comprehensive evaluation of cognitive abilities or achievement.
- Patterns of strengths and weaknesses are a readily obtainable component of any evaluation.
- Yields a new Gf-Gc Composite for comparison to measures of cognitive processing, oral language and achievement.
- Increased diagnostic sensitivity.
- Utilises the most diagnostically useful system for current and future assessment needs.
- Provides the most efficient use of testing time.
- Offers greater administration flexibility and interpretive clarity.
- Supports multidisciplinary evaluation with three distinct, independent batteries.
- Pinpoints cognitive and language correlates of learning problems, allowing professionals to more accurately target interventions.
WJ IV Cognitive Battery - Australasian Adaptation
(USER LEVEL: A - Registered Psychologists)
The fourth edition of the WJ IV Tests of Cognitive Abilities supports a new era of Cattell-Horn-Carroll (CHC) theory, containing the greatest breadth of cognitive abilities of any standardised test battery. New tests and clusters have been designed to place emphasis on the most useful measures for identifying an individuals patterns of strengths and weaknesses through seven different broad CHC abilities. This updated and expanded battery provides the most diagnostically useful measures of CHC abilities for contemporary assessment needs.
The WJ IV Tests of Cognitive Abilities also offer a new Gf-Gc Composite for comparison with other cognitive abilities, oral language and achievement. Understanding relative strengths and weaknesses in comparison to the Gf-Gc Composite may lead to individualised instruction designed to target identified learning needs. Plus, all-new working memory, perceptual speed, and phonological processing measures help pinpoint cognitive correlates of learning problems, while a new easy-to-use, intra-cognitive variation procedure allows documentation of cognitive strengths and weaknesses.
Examiners will enjoy administrative flexibility and interpretive clarity with the WJ IV Tests of Cognitive Abilities alone; however, combining administrations of the co-normed WJ IV Tests of Achievement and Tests of Oral Language will increase diagnostic capability and sensitivity.
- Verbal Attention test assesses working memory for classroom performance.
- Phonological Processing test assesses the impact of word access, word fluency, and word flexibility on learning needs.
- Visualisation test better measures spatial relationships and mental rotation abilities.
- Non-word Repetition test provides an important marker of phonological storage.
- Working memory, perceptual speed, and phonological processing measures help pinpoint cognitive correlates of learning problems.
- Gf-Gc Composite may be compared to measures of cognitive processing, oral language, and achievement for a complete profile of strengths and weaknesses.
- Easy-to-use intra-cognitive variation procedure allows for identification of cognitive strengths and weaknesses at both the test and cluster level.
- Provides diagnostically useful tests and clusters.
- Allows examiners to utilise the state-of-the-science application of updated CHC theory.
- Pinpoints cognitive correlates of learning problems.
- Offers a Gf-Gc Composite for comparison to other cognitive abilities, oral language and achievement.
- Provides the ability to understand relative strengths and weaknesses in comparison to the Gf-Gc Composite which can lead to individualised instruction designed to target identified learning needs.
- Allows documentation of cognitive strengths and weaknesses with a new easy-to-use, intra-cognitive variation.
- Increases diagnostic capabilities with the co-normed WJ IV Tests of Oral Language and Achievement.
- Offers greater administration flexibility and interpretive clarity.
WJ IV TESTS OF COGNITIVE ABILITIES
Test 1: Oral Vocabulary
Test 11: Number-Pattern Matching
Test 2: Number Series
Test 12: Non-word Repetition
Test 3: Verbal Attention
Test 13: Visual-Auditory Learning
Test 4: Letter-Pattern Matching
Test 14: Picture Recognition
Test 5: Phonological Processing
Test 15: Analysis-Synthesis
Test 6: Story Recall
Test 16: Object-Number Sequencing
Test 7: Visualisation
Test 17: Pair Cancellation
Test 8: General Information
Test 18: Memory for Words
Test 9: Concept Formation
Test 10: Numbers Reversed
General Intellectual Ability
Cognitive Processing Speed (Gs)
Brief Intellectual Ability
Perceptual Speed (P)
Gf-Gc Composite - NEW!
Auditory Processing (Ga)
Auditory Memory Span (MS)*
Long-Term Retrieval (Glr)
Fluid Reasoning (Gf)
Visual Processing (Gv)
Number Facility (N) - NEW!
Short-Term Working Memory (Gwm)
Short-Term Working Memory-Extended - NEW!
*Obtained when used with the WJ IV Tests of Oral Language
WJ IV Achievement Battery (Form C) - Australasian Adaptation
(USER LEVEL: C - Registered Psychologists; School Counsellors; Special Education and Learning Support Specialists)
Determining achievement strengths and weaknesses is easier than ever! The WJ IV Tests of Achievement (Form C) Australasian Adaptation is ideal for accurately screening, diagnosing and monitoring progress in reading, writing and mathematics achievement areas.
Examiners receive 11 tests in the standard battery. Using the standard battery provides a broad set of scores, while the extended battery allows for more in-depth diagnostic assessment of specific strengths and weaknesses. The selective testing feature of the WJ IV offers examiners the option to only administer the specific tests relevant to any referral questions. As a result, an examiner seldom needs to administer all of the tests or complete all of the interpretive options for a single person.
- Easy-to-use test and cluster comparison procedures allow identification of achievement strengths and weaknesses.
- Two-test Reading, Mathematics, and Written Language clusters provide standard skill development measures without speed requirements.
- Oral Reading, Reading Speed, and Reading Comprehension tests provide diagnostically useful measures that are necessary for the evaluation of reading performance.
- Number Matrices test adds a richer, in-depth interpretation of maths problem-solving ability.
- Variation procedures allow for comparison of fluency to basic skills and applications - an important diagnostic marker.
- Qualitative checklists for each test in the Standard Battery provide important information that is critical to understanding student performance.
- Updated and expanded Science, Social Studies, and Humanities tests can be compared to academic achievement.
- Increased diagnostic capability with measures of phonetic coding and speed of lexical access when used with the WJ IV Tests of Oral Language.
- Reading Fluency and Reading Rate clusters provide reliable and comprehensive measures of reading fluency.
WJ IV TESTS OF ACHIEVEMENT
Test 1: Letter-Word Identification
Test 12: Reading Recall
Test 2: Applied Problems
Test 13: Number Matrices
Test 3: Spelling
Test 14: Editing
Test 4: Passage Comprehension
Test 15: Word Reading Fluency
Test 5: Calculation
Test 16: Spelling of Sounds
Test 6: Writing Samples
Test 17: Reading Vocabulary
Test 7: Word Attack
Test 18: Science
Test 8: Oral Reading
Test 19: Social Studies
Test 9: Sentence Reading Fluency
Test 20: Humanities
Test 10: Maths Facts Fluency
Test 11: Writing Fluency
Broad Written Language
Basic Reading Skills
Basic Writing Skills
Reading Comprehension - Extended
Maths Calculation Skills
Maths Problem Solving
WJ IV Oral Language Battery - Australasian Adaptation NEW!
(USER LEVEL: C - Registered Psychologists; School Counsellors; Special Education and Learning Support Specialists; Speech Pathologists)
The WJ IV Tests of Oral Language provide important contemporary measures of oral language abilities for diagnostic decision-making utilising patterns of strengths and weaknesses (PSW) as well as providing a measure of Cognitive-Academic Language Proficiency (CALP).
The Oral Language tests may be used to determine and describe an individuals strengths and weaknesses with regard to expressive language. The 9-test battery are presented in a single easel.
Depending on the purpose and extent of the assessment, an examiner can use any of these tests independently or in conjunction with the WJ IV Tests of Cognitive Abilities and/or WJ IV Tests of Achievement. Several of the battery's tests were derived from the material in the WJ III Tests of Achievement and WJ III Tests of Cognitive Abilities.
Use the WJ IV Oral Language battery to:
- Measure four aspects of oral language in English.
- Provide language-related insights into observed learning problems.
- Innovative design makes the Tests of Oral Language an important diagnostic supplement to the Tests of Cognitive Abilities and Tests of Achievement.
- Allows for the evaluation of strengths and weaknesses among oral language abilities for a more complete evaluation of specific learning disabilities including dyslexia.
- Segmentation test provides important information about phonological processing.
- Increases diagnostic sensitivity with measures of phonetic coding and speed of lexical access.
- Yields a measure of Cognitive-Academic Language Proficiency (CALP) which is often more useful in academic settings than measures of Basic Interpersonal Communication skills (BICS).
- Provides a unique comparison of oral language comprehension for comparison to levels of academic achievement.
- Compares achievement levels to oral language ability for a complete picture of the child's skills.
- Allows examiners to evaluate the presence and severity of any phonological or rapid automatic naming deficits.
- Provides language-related insights into observed learning problems.
- Determines if academic achievement is commensurate with, or discrepant from, the ability to comprehend oral language.
- Identifies the cognitive and academic language proficiency of English language learners.
- Measures foundational phonological skills-breaking words into parts and blending sounds to make words.
- Evaluates the impact of oral language proficiency on cognitive and academic performance.
- Compare achievement levels to oral language ability.
WJ IV TESTS OF ORAL LANGUAGE
Test 1: Picture Vocabulary
Test 2: Oral Comprehension
Test 3: Segmentation
Test 4: Rapid Picture Naming
Test 5: Sentence Repetition
Test 6: Understanding Directions
Test 7: Sound Blending
Test 8: Retrieval Fluency
Test 9: Sound Awareness
Broad Oral Language
Speed of Lexical Access
*Obtained when used with the WJ IV Tests of Cognitive Abilities
WJ IV Training
PAA offers 'in-house' WJ IV training workshops for organisations/groups at your venue. Please contact PAA for further details and pricing.
NB: Prices are in Australian dollars inclusive of GST. NZ customers need to log in to view ex-GST prices.