Vocabulary Assessment Scales vas
For: Measure vocabulary and oral language development in ages 2.6 to 95 years
Format: Paper-and-Pencil forms and stimuli; or digital stimuli; Online (via PARiConnect)
Length: 15-20 minutes for each test (VAS Expressive or VAS Receptive)
Scoring: Online via PARiConnect
Online Forms, Administrations and Reports
VAS-E online Expressive Score Report (each) min order 5
VAS-R online Receptive Score Report (each) min order 5
Books / Workbooks
VAS Professional Manual with Fast Guide
VAS-E Form A Record Forms (25)
VAS-E Form B Record Forms (25)
VAS-R Form A Record Forms (25)
VAS-R Form B Record Forms (25)
VAS Form A Combo Print Kit
Rebecca Gerhardstein Nader, PhD
An innovative new measure, the VAS-E and VAS-R present full-colour photographs to measure the breadth of an individual’s vocabulary and oral language development. A complementary pair of norm-referenced tests designed for simple administration and scoring, the VAS-E and VAS-R can be used individually or in combination throughout an individual’s life span.
Expressive -The VAS-E presents a single picture along with a verbal prompt (e.g, “What is this?”). Examinees are required to verbally provide a single-word response. The VAS-E may be administered in 15-20 minutes.
Receptive -The VAS-R presents a set of four picture stimuli and asks examinees to select the picture that best corresponds to the word spoken by the examiner. The VAS-R may be administered in 15-20 minutes.
- Choose between digital or paper stimuli. The VAS stimulus books are available digitally, for use on your tablet, or on paper, for traditional administration.
- Evaluate with greater ecological validity. Full-colour photographs provide the highest degree of realism possible. Beyond simply improving aesthetics, using photographs instead of drawings may allow for a more accurate assessment of an individual’s vocabulary.
- Obtain an enhanced skill assessment. Composite and discrepancy scores enhance your ability to interpret expressive and receptive scores. When both the VAS-E and VAS-R are administered, examiners may calculate a Vocabulary Composite Score as well as an Expressive-Receptive Discrepancy Score.
- Monitor effectiveness of interventions. Reliable change scores enable you to measure growth in vocabulary or oral language over time and in response to targeted interventions. They also make the VAS ideal for the evaluation of language impairments as the result of injury or disease (e.g., dementia, aphasia, TBI). Equivalent, co-normed forms reduce the occurrence of practice effects that may result from repeated administrations. Plus, there are few overlapping words between the VAS-E and VAS-R, a significant improvement over existing vocabulary tests.
- Assess throughout the lifespan. Offering both age- and grade-based norms, the VAS-E and VAS-R are suitable for evaluating individuals ages 2.6 to 95 years in clinical, school, occupational, and industrial settings. Normative data are based on a sample of 2,678 individuals representative of the 2009 U.S. Census in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, and education level. Age-based norms are provided for 28 different groups, and grade-based norms are provided for children and adolescents enrolled in pre-kindergarten to Year 12.
- Review data on multiple validity groups. Validity groups included children and adults with speech impairment; individuals with language delay, language disorder, dementia, hearing impairment, reading disability, intellectual developmental disorder, emotional disturbance (ED), ADHD, autism spectrum disorder, and traumatic brain injury (TBI); and gifted and talented individuals.
- Evaluate hard-to-test individuals. Ideal for use with non readers or with people who have reading or written language impairments, the VAS requires no reading or writing. The response format places a low demand on motor skills.
Requirements for digital stimulus books/e-Manuals:
Display screen size of 7.75" (19.7cm) x 5.25" (13.3cm); 50MB hard disk space for each book.
NB: Prices are in Australian dollars inclusive of GST. NZ customers need to log in to view ex-GST prices.